Sunday, June 29, 2014
I've just finished two custom kanzashi pieces, a small wisteria and a fuschia flower hair pin, both in bright yellow shades. I'm currently working on a custom pair of bon-ten for another customer, and I have two kiku sets to make when that one is finished, so I've closed my custom orders for the moment until I have completed all o my current orders.
I've also got a bit of a problem, since I've just found out that the craft store near me will no longer be carrying one of types of metallic cords I use, and I'm going to have to either find it elsewhere (provided it's not been discontinued by the manufacturer) or find a substitute. I have a small amount left in stock, so I will be able to use it on a few more projects providing those projects use only small pieces, but I won't be able to create anything that needs a lot of it until I find a solution. If I have to order it online, I'll have to raise the prices a little bit on the designs that use a lot of it in the future, because the cost will more than triple once shipping is added, and I'll probably not be able to order it as often as I was buying it.
I really want to finish some of the projects that have been sitting in my drawer, some of them have been there for months, and there's one or two that haven't been worked on in a year, so maybe I'll be able to do that once these orders are finished.
at 3:58 AM
Saturday, June 21, 2014
Thursday, June 5, 2014
I think I've solved my problem with decorating claw style hair clips! The problems I encountered were the flowers either hindering the way the clip worked, getting crushed when you try to open the clip to put it in your hair, or the open spaces in the middle of some types of claw clip providing very little space to actually attach a flower to.
The method that has worked for me so far, is to line the inside of the clip with a strip of felt so the flowers ave something to adhere to where there are open spaces, sticking to small, mostly flat and somewhat sturdy flower designs (something that you can press on a little bit without ruining), and using a flat center decoration.
I think the styles of kanzashi flowers that work well with these clips are limited, and they'll still need delicate handling.
Here's my take on it, it doesn't capture the shape perfectly, but I think it gets the idea across. Mountain laurels have a strange shape from the side that I found difficult to mimic with kanzashi techniques, maybe one day I'll figure it out! I think this one might have looked a little truer to the flower if the stamens were a bit smaller, but that size is the smallest I've got at the moment.
at 1:48 AM