Thursday, February 26, 2015

Long time, no post

It's been a long time since I've made a post, I put nearly everything else on hold over the holidays while I tried to prepare for Christmas, so there's a lot to catch up on!




To start with the most exciting news, I was able to place a order for a full bolt of habutai silk late last year, so I'm happy to finally have it available as an option for my custom kanzashi! :)

I really can't say enough good about Dharma Trading company, when UPS lost my first bolt during shipping, (And UPS was no help in the matter whatsoever) they kindly sent me another completely free of charge. I bought my dyes from them too, and they've worked excellently. 




 I completed my first kanzashi made entirely with rice glue in the traditional method, a chidori motif with ocean waves. I also completed a momiji piece in my normal method, but what a difference the silk makes in the appearance! It's amazing how much the type of fabric can contribute to how vibrant a design looks. Both of these pieces went to good homes.

I've also completed two silk kanzashi sets, the nanohana set as a commission, and the ginkgo is stock for my shop. I'm hoping to make more this year, as time allows. I'm also getting back into the swing of working on my kanzashi book projects, I'm hoping to finally finish the kusudama set that's been in progress since last year.


I finished the hydrangea clips, and am thinking of using most of them to start a branch of my shop on storenvy. I am hoping to move my smaller and more modern creations there, and list my traditional kanzashi on Etsy. I also completed the comb I was working on, a pretty pale pink design with flowers worked in.


I have some bad news too unfortunately. My computer is 7 years old, and my camera 8. They have been faithful little machines, but both have been malfunctioning badly lately, and I think they may be reaching the end of the road. It's not surprising given their age and frequent use, but it's still going to be a big problem for me to replace them. My goal this year will be to purchase new ones before they finally die, which I think will be very difficult based on my usual sales and will require that I do much better this year. If I don't accomplish this in time, I'll lose the means to continue my shop (as well as losing access to pretty much all news/communication/entertainment, my computer is really my one source for everything) as I don't have access to a backup computer or suitable camera, so it's a little scary for me. If I'm not quick enough, there will be no way for me to keep saving, the kanzashi are my only income at the moment. I would love hear any suggestions at all of what I can possibly do to make my shop and items more attractive and hopefully invite more traffic and sales.

I took my silk painting experiments further and created two scarves as Christmas gifts. They're not perfect and it's easy to tell I'm an amateur, but I do like how they turned out. I think I would need a better equipment to make it a frequent hobby though, I don't have a proper frame and I found that water based resist tends to allow the colors to bleed a bit.


To end this post, here is a little sea turtle I made. This is my test design for a hibiscus and water kanzashi idea I had. It needs a little tweaking, but I think it will work. :)


 









No comments:

Post a Comment